Holmes County Courthouse
The courthouse was designed by the Knoxville, TN, firm of Walter Chamberlin & Co. The present courthouse replaced a c.1850 courthouse that, is speculated, was designed by William Nichols. The architecture of the building itself is worth a visit.
The courthouse played a significant role in the history of the Church of God in Christ. Bishop Charles H. Mason, founder, was arrested in Holmes County and jailed in the Courthouse. A memorial in his honor is displayed in the basement of the courthouse.
Additionally, a historic marker recognizing Bishop Mason was erected on the courthouse grounds on October 16, 2015.
116 W China St / Lexington, MS