DeSoto County Courthouse

The anchor of Hernando square, the historic DeSoto County Courthouse was built in 1942 after the previous French Castle courthouse burned in 1940. The courthouse features an impressive series of murals that circle the interior rotunda depicting explorer Hernando DeSoto's travels along the Mississippi River. The murals were painted in 1903 for Memphis' historic Gayoso Hotel and given to DeSoto County in the 1950s. They have since been restored three separate times and have been a consistent point of interest for cultural heritage travelers to the Mississippi Delta region.